Monday, April 19, 2010

The First Step

After many years of flirting with the idea, I decided to take a serious look at Exam P on April 4, 2010. I am well into my career in a non-actuarial position, and haven't seen Calculus since Fall of 1992! After a week of reviewing the material on the exam, I decided to pull the trigger on a very aggressive exam date - June 4! That gives me only 60 days to start basically from scratch. I know that it will be quite a feat to pass that quickly, and if I fail I plan to take the exam again in the July-August window.

I will use this blog to update my progress and post observations, as it seems every night I end up with another hurdle of something new to learn. So far, I have gone over the probability and discrete distribution material and feel pretty comfortable. I am currently reviewing calculus in preparation for continuous distribution material. In the last week, I have gone from having no recollection of calculus to at least being comfortable with the ideas behind derivatives and integration. I am still mastering the execution of those concepts though!

At this point, I have 47 days to go and have so much material to get through. I hope to have at least 3 full weeks to drill practice exam questions after finishing the material - hopefully I can get there, but I will have to evaluate the schedule week by week.

No comments:

Post a Comment