Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Guide to passing Exam 1/P

I originally wrote this up the day after I passed the Exam. There is more stuff I'd like to add and some areas I'd like to polish, but short of leaving it in limbo forever I wanted to get this out there. I will come back and revise as the spirit moves me!
******************
So I recently passed Exam P. As a "career changer" with a full time job, wife, and 3 children (a 2 year old and 4 month old twins), I thought I could give some observations on how I prepared and how I would recommend others in similar situations should prepare. I'm going to stay away from the "why" and purely focus on the "how" here.

1. The first step I took, and this is the one that really convinced me to give Exam P a shot, is that I started reading Marcel Finan's pdf text book focused on Exam P. I would reccomend this to anyone who is even thinking about the exam. Read through the first 12 Chapters and see how comfortable you feel with the ideas in the material. I'm not saying you need to have mastered the material just yet, but you really need to have a good grasp of this material, as it is the basic foundation of the concepts in the exam.

2. Once you feel comfortable with that material, read Chapters 13-21 and try to do the associated problems. Discrete distributions are where you start seeing applications of the concepts, and the continuous distributions is where the material will start getting more difficult.

3. Ok, now that you have gotten this far, you need to learn calculus. When I started studying, it had been 17.5 years since my last calculus class. I had no recollection of any of the material at all. I found two great sources that will give you everything you need for this exam. The first is the book Calculus for Dummies by Mark Ryan. The book isn't very expensive, and you should be able to get it from the library. Chapters 1-14 are the important chapters for Exam P. He spends more time on integration of trig functions that you really need - read through this part but don't focus TOO much on the trig stuff. Chapter 15 is good to read as well, but not quite as important. The second source is The Calculus 1&2 tutor dvd set from MathTutorDVD.com. These DVDs are awesome! The instructor has a pleasant (if not a little dry) delivery, and I believe going through the whole set and taking detailed notes can get anyone up to the point they need to be for this exam. I ended up going back to certain chapters a few times as topics came up in future study that I wasn't feeling so comfortable with, I imagine you will do that as well.

4. Now, the rubber meets the road. For those of you who haven't studied math in a while, I think using only a study book is going to be difficult. The notation and conventions used, combined with some of the assumed knowledge (ie skipped steps in computations), will make the work difficult to follow. While the rest of the studying can be done using a textbook, I strongly recommend The Infinite Actuary's online Exam P course. Its not cheap, but then again, how much is your time worth? This course will save you at least 40 hours of studying - at $10 an hour, you have already saved the cost of the course. If you are a career changer with a family, time is your most valuable commodity, and the cost of the course is nominal compared with the actual value of the time it will save you. Also, you can email any question to Dave (the instructor), which is a nice resource to have.

5. Ok, you've spent a lot of time, and you've made it through all the material and all the practice problems. You are halfway there! Yes, I said halfway... Now, you need to work problems. A LOT of problem. Over and over. Then again and again. You need to work them until you can do it in your sleep (yes, I dreamed in Exam P material). You need to work them until you can recognize easily what needs to be done and can execute quickly. I used the SOA 149 sample problems and TIA Exams 1-4 (which are available for free even if you don't buy the course) as problems to work on. I made an Excel workbook that had one sheet for the SOA problems and one for the TIA. I listed out each problem vertically in 4 or 5 columns, and marked an X next to the ones I really felt I mastered. I had a formula that counted the X's and told me what percentage of the problems I mastered. This was great motivation, to constantly increase my percentage, and also gave me an assessment of how much more work I had to do. As I noticed which problems were giving me difficulty, I noted what type of problem it was, and did countif formulas to tell me what areas had the most problems I couldn't figure out, and those were the areas I focused more study on. I eventually got my SOA % up to 75 and my TIA % up to about 60. I never did master ALL of the material, but I did the best I could in the time allotted and I felt those levels at least gave me a chance to pass.

6. Now that you spent a few weeks doing that, you still have a week or so to go before the exam. Go back and redo EVERY problem, marking off the ones you can do quickly and efficiently in the same manner as above but on a new list. Your goal here is both speed and accuracy. This will ferret out the stuff you need a refresher on. As the week goes on and you review the areas that give you problems, redo those problems the in the next two days to drill the concepts in. Hopefully, you can get your percentage in this step near 70% or more.

7. In the two nights prior to the exam, roll back the problems working a little bit. Review the notes you have been making on formulas and concepts that have been problematic for you (I hope I needn't have told you to be taking notes every step of the way here). Watch Rocky 3 - that movie has some great analogies to this Exam studying process. Apollo at the beginning is college - you've beat him. The opponents Rocky was beating all along are your work assignments etc, stuff that you had to work to do, but wasn't as challenging as this. Clubber Lang - he is Exam P. Now, Apollo becomes the study guide you use, the online forums that provide guidance, etc.

Good luck!

**I'm adding this after having written the above post, I'll eventually get it into the body of the post but just found this and wanted to make sure it got linked from this page.  Apparently in the time since I originally wrote this, The University of Wisconsin has put together this excellent resource for SOA sample questions.  It is linked from the SOA Exam P page, and I wanted to mention it here because it looks like an excellent resource!  Go check it out!

23 comments:

  1. Love your blog was thinking about taking the exam p test. I see you mention mathtutordvd.com, did you or would you recommend watching the statistics video on mathtutordvd.com or should I just stick to the calculus videos? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen the statistics video there, I think it might be new. That being said, it looks awesome! It covers a lot of material that is directly on P. While you will have the material covered in your manual as well, I suspect the mathtutordvd.com explanations will help put some things into plain english.

    I recommended the calculus video as background for those that aren't strong in calculus, because it is a prerequisite for the exam. So in that sense, the statistics/probability video isn't really a prerequisite - it is stuff you learn in studying for the exam, and would get exposure to in the material. So, while for a slightly different purpose, I do think you would get your $40 worth of help out of the statistics video series.

    I am actually considering buying it for myself, some of the topics come up again on Exam C. I am pretty familiar with them at this point, but additional reinforcement can't hurt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all the information. I have doing research on this subject and your blog gave me the best information

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have one more question for you, on the mathtutordvd.com calculus dvd's should i skip over the parts that have to do with trip? I noticed that there are a couple of parts that have to do with trig and I noticed in your blog you said not to spend too much time on trig when you were refering to the calculus for dummies book. Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here are the sections in the mathtutordvd.com Calculus 1 dvd:

    Chapter Index
    Disk 1
    Section 1: What Is A Derivative?
    Section 2: The Derivative Defined As A Limit
    Section 3: Differentiation Formulas
    Section 4: Derivatives Of Trigonometric Functions
    Section 5: The Chain Rule
    Section 6: Higher Order Derivatives
    Section 7: Related Rates
    Section 8: Curve Sketching Using Derivatives
    Disk 2
    Section 9: Introduction To Integrals
    Section 10: Solving Integrals
    Section 11: Integration By Substitution
    Section 12: Calculating Volume With Integrals
    Section 13: Derivatives and Integrals Of Exponentials
    Section 14: Derivatives Of Logarithms
    Section 15: Integration By Parts
    Section 16: Integration By Trig Substitution
    Section 17: Improper Integrals

    I would suggest watching them all at least once, but the ones to focus on for P are 1-6, 9-11 and 15. I honestly can't remember for sure if 13 and 14 come up on Exam P, I know they come up on C, and I think they came up on P as well.

    Anything that has to do with Trig and special rules regarding Trig, etc., can be ignored for purposes of Exam P.

    ReplyDelete
  6. do you have a link for that textbook? I can't seem to find the Marcel Finan Exam P texbtook.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is about halfway down this page:
    http://faculty.atu.edu/mfinan/npub.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a question, ive been looking into taking this test, but i dont have a background in math. Do you have a background in math? Just trying to figure out weather its worth taking or getting a job without a background in math. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. You never mentioned how long the entire preparation process took you. Can you please elaborate on this?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you have a background in math? Or were you just interested in becoming an actuary and just decided to get good at math?

    ReplyDelete
  11. To answer the recent questions:
    1. No, I didn't really have a background in math. I took Calculus and Statistics in college, but as I mention I hadn't seen the material in 17.5 years and had forgotten all of it. The only advice I can offer is to start studying and see if you can grasp it. I do mention a few references above for all the math background you need:

    2. I spent two months total preparing for P, but in those two months pretty much ever minute I could spare was dedicated to studying. Every lunch at work, every night until I eventually had to go to sleep, every moment I could go over a few concepts in my head. In those two months, I squeezed in approximately 250 study hours. That includes time spent going back and reviewing calculus.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a great blog thanks for all your help. You mentioned looking through Finan to get a grasp of the material. Do you suggest going through the whole book or only until chapter 21? Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You certainly can use the whole book to study for the exam, but I think the first 21 chapters really give you a feel for what type of thinking it is going to take. Chapters 22 and on I feel are easier to learn from other commercial study manuals (ASM, TIA, etc.), but if you find the Finan book ok to learn from you do not need to buy another manual by any means.

      I remember that by the time I got to chapter 22 and past, I really wasn't able to learn the material as well from Finan's approach. I find that even with other study manuals in later exams (Actex, ASM, BPP, etc.) so it is not a knock on Finan by any means. It is more of a personal taste thing.

      Delete
  13. Very happy to find your blog, I'm in a similar situation as you and am also using TIA for the reasons you mentioned. It's the best thing for someone without a math background. I had to laugh when I saw you mention the Mark Ryan book, that's exactly what I did.

    I have one small frustration and I was wondering if you could offer some advice. I go through the lectures with extreme diligence. I go through the practice problems. I try to understand the concepts thoroughly. Then, when I try to tackle the practice problems, it's like Clubber Lang pummeling me to two inches tall...

    For example, I'm currently on the normal distribution problem set. I often have no idea how to start some problems, what I should denote as X or S or what have you. I watch the solution but he usually just starts off with, "So, I'm going to let X be my..." How was I supposed to know this? Sometimes he uses conditional probability where I just did not see it was even necessary. Lately I've been studying 8 hours a day, most of these hours I spend stubbornly staring down these problems and trying to turn them over every which way in my head in an effort to get some thread I can hold on to, but progress is painfully slow and still subpar.

    Did you experience anything similar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not the admin, but I experienced very very smilar as you. After watching the videos, I still have no idea on how to solve the problems. The way I overcame it was simply practice. It's probably not a practical solution for you, but I think if you keep going, you'll get there. I went through the problem sets once, and did as best as I can to understand the video solution. Eventually, it all falls in to place. Then, I watch the videos lessons again for the second time. On the second run, seeing that it's not as 'foreign' anymore, the concepts started to sink in better as I know what to look for.

      Delete
    2. I know what you mean. I think of that as the brute force method. Basically keep doing and redoing it, even if at first it doesn't make sense, until your brain just begins to create the proper pathways.

      Lately I've signed up for ADAPT and, I must say, going through their database of problems seems to be helping me quite a bit. I'm also reviewing the entirety of the material from the beginning, skimming through it with greater speed this time.

      Still about forty days to go, I believe I can make it! Thanks for your feedback, I am beginning to see my frustration is rather normal, so I feel I'm on the right track.

      Delete
    3. I agree with Anonymous' comment and your follow up. It really is a brute force kind of thing. There were plenty of times I watched the videos for the answers and had no idea what was going on. I remember specifically thinking "how would I EVER know that??". Eventually, with persistence and many many hours, it comes to you.

      If you continue on the path, you will have the same experience with all the prelim exams. It will seem hopeless at some point (heck, at many points) during studying for every exam. You just keep learning one more thing, then one more thing, then one more thing, and more and more stuff clicks.

      I've had conversations with coworkers where we wondered how much of the exam is testing your knowledge v. how much is testing your dedication, persistence, and ability to handle stress. It definitely takes all of the above!

      Delete
  14. Did you spend a lot of time studying calculus for exam p?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really, I spent 2-3 weeks focusing solely on calculus during my study process, and going back and reviewing it when necessary (which was a lot).

      Delete
  15. Admin,
    I want to ask you if you have any suggestions as to other 'technical skills' to learn, in order to have a higher chance of entry level employment (coupled with passing exams). Specifically, I"m asking about computer software/programming (or anything else you can think of).

    For someone without any programming knowledge, do you have any recommendations on what to learn? Are there 'standards' that most actuaries need to know (sql, SAS, etc etc)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This could vary a lot. I would say the only standard is Excel. Fortunately, there are a lot of good books and websites to help walk you through Excel. I am constantly googling things when I want to figure out a new trick in Excel.

      Beyond that, there will be things your employer will have you get familiar with, but for entry level it is usually not required for you to know these things. Some employers will use SQL, or SAS, or the various bundles of actuarial software, but it is only when you get to looking for more senior positions that these become pre-reqs and not something they expect you to learn on the job.

      That being said, spending some time learning free versions of SQL, Java, C++ and VBA will only help you get a job. So to answer your first query, learning those on your own could help get a job, but won't necessarily be requirements. Also, once you get familiar with one programming language, the other ones will fall into place much easier.

      This may be worth a post of it's own at some point...

      Delete
  16. Great guide! I liked the idea of measuring your percentage mastered in an excel sheet.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi,
    Your post was really helpful. I am taking Exam P in September. Can you please tell me what is the marking system for the exam? Like what is the score for passing the exam. All I know is that there are 30 questions, but I have no idea how the score is distributed.

    ReplyDelete