Monday, June 27, 2011

6/27/11 update

I have been moving along with the early studying for exam C. My goal has been to get about 2 hours per weeknight in for a total of 10 hours per week. I haven’t really been at that pace, getting more like 4-6 per week in.
I ordered Howard Mahler’s study manual, which is a little more expensive than ASM. It is also HUGE! That is a good thing, as I am finding it pretty effective so far. The manual breaks down everything into short chapters. So far, some of them are so short or so basic I can just skim them and mentally check them off. When I hit material I have to work through, it is nice to have an easily digestible chunk of material to think about and then move on. Most of the questions and even some of the topics should be skipped the first time through (Mahler lays out the system in the beginning of the manual), so it isn’t really as intimidating as it might seem. I like the “bite size chunks” approach so far, we shall see if that holds up.
I also have been listening to (and watching) the TIA lessons, but I have been spending more time with the Mahler manual. I would say a few concepts were easier to grasp from the TIA lessons, and when I hit them in Mahler, while they were still explained well, I thought TIA made them a little easier for me to grasp. My ultimate goal here is to keep a pace with both, so I don’t spend too much time getting bogged down in one or the other, and hopefully the balance of approaches will make things easier to grasp overall. Also
My goal is to have the first review of everything done by 8/27 or so. That gives me two more months, and then I will have approximately 8 weeks to work on practice problems. I think I will be able to hit that goal, but I am still pretty far out to tell. I’d estimate I am only 10-15% into the material as of now.
The results for MFE come out in 4 days! I’ll finally found out how that went. While I of course want to find out, I don’t find myself very anxious about it right now. I can’t change it at this point, so I am trying to stay relaxed!

No comments:

Post a Comment