Thursday, June 2, 2011

6/2/11 - C progress and waiting for MFE results

The studying for C is moving along. I have purchased The Infinite Actuary (TIA) course and am going through the first sections of that. I have also downloaded the Mahler sample chapters and have been reviewing that. I have ordered the Mahler manual, but it has not arrived yet.

For both of these sources, I have mapped out a timeline of how I want to progress. The timeline would give me two months after finishing the material to just review practice problems. The two sources don't correspond by chapters and seem to take different approaches to organizing the material. I'm not sure at this point if I will end up using one as a primary source, or just try to divide my time between both knowing there will be overlap in various places.

I decided to buy the Mahler manual after reading the sample chapters and noticing how he breaks down the information into bite size chunks, and he seems to provide detail down to the most basic level. I feel I could really benefit from a "building blocks" approach to this material. I bought the TIA seminar as it has the same instruction who taught the exam P seminar. I loved his course, and felt it was totally key to me passing that exam, so I have a lot of faith he can get to to passing C as well. I have to admit that thus far I am not as impressed with the C lessons, but I still like them. I think his approach really pays off once the light bulbs start going off and you really start getting it, as he shows you how to deal with specific types of exam questions. Hopefully I will be getting it sooner rather than later!

The pass/fail results for MFE will be released July 1. I have spent a little more time thinking about it an analyzing my possible scenarios, and I still expect to get a 5 or 6. I would say I have a 65% chance of a 6 and 35% chance of a 5. Of course those percentages aren't based on anything but how I felt about groups of questions coming out of the exam as well as my gut feelings. The time waiting definitely gives you a lot of time to think about your results, whereas with the first two exams I didn't spend much time thinking about the exam after it was over because I already knew I passed!

No comments:

Post a Comment