Monday, May 16, 2011

Post exam wrap up

Ok, I took the exam this afternoon. Here is the lowdown:

As for the exam itself, I thought it was very fair. A good mix of questions, difficulty levels, and syllabus material. Everything I saw was covered in material I reviewed somewhere. The questions were easy enough to follow, but some of the more difficult ones required a bit of cleverness to get the right answers. It really reminded me of Exam P quite a bit.

How did I do? Out of the 30, I felt really good about 18, somewhere between 50-80% on 5, and I totally guessed on 7. Of those 23 I did answer, I know for sure I got 1 of them wrong. For the 7 I guessed on, there were 1 or 2 I thought I knew how to to but never got close to an answer choice, and 5 I just didn't know how to do. So, assuming I got some of my confident answers wrong and some of my guessed answers right, I should be close to a 6 either way. This is the first time I have to wait 8 weeks for results, should be interesting.

I did do something different this time, and I'm not sure how I felt about it. I spent the morning before the exam working through a couple of practice exams in a local Panera. I'm not sure if it was all the noise of the Panera, or just the response to looking at so many questions, but by the end of the morning I was really feeling shaky. I did find 2-3 very simple thing I was doing wrong in the practice exams, so that did help, but overall by the time I was walking into the exam I was feeling very scattered and shaky. I think some of that was just taking the exam on Monday v last Friday or Saturday. I think I would have been best off taking it Friday, but who knows. I think Saturday and Sunday I was tired from doing so much studying the prior 3 days and also I couldn't spent much time studying on Sat/Sun, so I lost the edge a little bit. Also, some exam jitters come into play of course. By the time I got through looking at the first 7 or 8 questions I was ok.

I did run out of time taking the exam, in that I didn't get to do as thorough of a review on the 23 I did answer as I would have liked, and even if I knew how to answer the ones I guessed on I wouldn't have had time for all of them. Now, when I get an answer I am confident in during the exam I usually do run a double check right there if there is an easy way to check the answer via an alternate method. Although this takes extra time, I feel it is important to get the answers you SHOULD get correct, even if it takes a minute or two to look at it a different way. When I was doing my second run though, I would like to have rerun some of the answers I was pretty confident in already, but alas time did not permit.

Ok, this is the first time I will have to wait for a score. Should be interesting. I wonder how much time I will spend analyzing it v. how much time I will spend just not worrying about it. I'm sure I'll have more thoughts going forward now that I'm not studying so much! I am definitely tired of studying, it will be nice to have a break!

No comments:

Post a Comment